Sunday, April 11, 2010

M.I.A. vs. Lady Gaga

Interesting comments from M.I.A. on Lady Gaga:

None of her music’s reflective of how weird she wants to be or thinks she is. She models herself on Grace Jones and Madonna, but the music sounds like 20-year-old Ibiza music, you know? She’s not progressive, but she’s a good mimic. That’s a talent and she’s got a great team behind her, but she’s the industry's last stab at making itself important - saying, ‘You need our money behind you, the endorsements, the stadiums.’ Respect to her, she’s keeping a hundred thousand people in work, but my belief is: Do It Yourself.

I should preface by saying I like M.I.A. and her music. Her take is an insightful one on the surface, but she should take it a step further. Being 'different' or 'progressive' is always more respected, when it could be argued that it is every bit as contrived as copying someone else. When you're different or weird, aren't you basing your 'difference' against something? Namely, the mainstream? If I know what sounds popular and want to be different, I can make it happen. It's every bit as constructed as someone who mimics. Quite frankly there's nothing THAT original out there in the world of art anymore. Best to just not go down this path because it's a painful circular argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment